It’s no secret that many female-owned small businesses were hit hard by the shutdowns driven by COVID-19. Thankfully, this day and age brings with it some unprecedented advantages, too.
Walking Through Life as Women offers the following tips and tools to help your limping business regain its stride.
Given the current situation, your clientele will naturally focus heavily on cleanliness and safety. Take a hard look at your establishment and make improvements with that in mind.
- Decide how to implement OSHA’s tips for retail establishments.
- Get familiar with the EPA’s guidelines for disinfection.
- A fresh coat of paint is a cheap way to make a clean and positive impression.
- Lighting improvements can brighten dim and dingy spaces for minimal cost.
Prepare Your People
Ensure your staff has everything they need to keep themselves and customers safe and healthy.
- Develop a policy for personal protective equipment like masks.
- Encourage staff to take free COVID-19 training courses.
- Establish a cleaning rotation and ensure everyone knows their role.
- Remember that teamwork and connection are more critical than ever.
Shift Your Perspective
It’s natural to focus primarily on your brick and mortar right now, but why not try something new? Consider amending your efforts with these ideas:
- Sell promotional gear, gift cards, or items related to your normal products and services.
- Adjust for the times, like revising your website for added customer engagement.
- Add dropshipping to your repertoire.
- Consider how a delivery service could fit with your business.
- Connect with your audience via vlogging.
- Hire freelancers for one-off jobs or short-term projects.
We at Walking Through Life as Women realize times are more challenging than ever right now, particularly for women running a small business. None of us know what the future looks like, but by planning ahead, we can position ourselves to weather the storm. We sincerely hope the guidance provided here proves as useful to you as it has for us.
By Elena Stewart
As always, thank you for taking the time to read our blog. We appreciate your time and support.
(please feel free to comment below)